SACS not implementing quarantine policies that went against state guidelines
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA) - Southwest Allen County Schools will keep in place its Return to the Classroom plan from July, despite a vote this week from the school board to ease quarantine restrictions.
Tuesday night the board took a 4-1 vote to eliminate quarantines if the positive person and close contact happened to have been wearing masks.
Thursday evening in a letter to parents Superintendent Park Ginder said masks remain recommended with no change to classroom contact tracing procedures.
He said it’s been determined that the motion to change the processes did not meet state guidelines.
Gov. Eric Holcomb issued a statewide executive order Sept. 1 that eases quarantine requirements for students if all children and adults in the school are wearing masks throughout the day.
It allows contacts within three feet of someone who test positive for COVID-19 to continue coming to class and monitor for symptoms for 14 days.
If masks are not required and a positive case is contact traced, unmasked people who had been within six feet of the person must quarantine for at least seven days.
Copyright 2021 WPTA. All rights reserved.