Komets, coliseum officials discuss COVID-19 protocols for upcoming season
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA) - Fort Wayne Komets players are looking to repeat as Kelly Cup champions, but team officials are looking to keep fans safe by requiring masks.
Tickets for next season’s Komets games went on sale Wednesday morning, just over a month from their first game.
“Last year we were at a reduced capacity for the first several games at 2,400 and then the capacity went up,” Komets president Michael Franke said.
Franke said he can’t wait for fans to be cheering on the team at 100% capacity. He understands some people may disagree with the team’s decision, but he believes it’s the right thing to do.
“I’m not the smartest guy in the world, so I got to listen to the science people,” Franke said. “It became very apparent to us over the last several weeks that to be at full capacity we were going to have to be masking up at the games.”
The policy allows fans to remove their masks when eating or drinking. All bags must be see through to limit contact between security and fans. You will also not be allowed into the teams’ locker rooms and must social distance while in concession stand lines and in hallways.
Allen County War Memorial Coliseum General Manager Randy Brown said this policy was created by the Komets and wants to remind everyone that COVID-19 protocols inside the coliseum are up to the organizations hosting the event.
“We are prepared for social distancing at the doors, in the ticket lines, all those things,” Brown said. “We still have our social distancing lines and markers in place and Plexiglas in our concession stands.”
As the Komets’ season approaches, hopes are high for a repeat. However, Franke says safety will always be the top priority.
“The hockey at the end of the day is secondary for me right now,” Franke said. “I’m friends with a few people that have lost family members to this variant. It’s absolutely horrible.”
The team’s first regular season game is set for October 23.
Copyright 2021 WPTA. All rights reserved.