News-Sentinel informs employees of 'staffing decisions,' but ple - ABC21: Your Weather Authority

News-Sentinel informs employees of 'staffing decisions,' but pledges to continue local presence

Posted: Updated:
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA 21) -

The News-Sentinel on Friday notified many of its employees that they would lose their jobs as part of what executives are calling "staffing decisions."

Officials told ABC21 that the digital news operation would continue to publish editorial content, and noted that some stringers may be used to enhance coverage. Stringers are freelance reporters who can be hired on an as-needed basis.

They did not elaborate on where the changes would be made, but said broad coverage of the community would continue.

On Friday afternoon, however, several employees told ABC21 that the majority of the editorial staff had been notified of their termination. Tom Davis, a member of the sports department, was first to publicly acknowledge the layoffs.

In August 2017, the News-Sentinel announced that it would stop publishing as a traditional daily newspaper and would shift its focus to a digital presence. At the time, Fort Wayne Newspapers CEO Mike Christman, who is Publisher of the News-Sentinel, said; “The News-Sentinel will now have the ability to reach a wider range of audiences in Fort Wayne while focusing exclusively on creating great, engaging content.”

The media outlet has deep roots in Fort Wayne, having started out as the Fort Wayne Sentinel, then merging with another paper to form the News-Sentinel 100 years ago.

Powered by Frankly