An ABC21 Digging Deeper investigation has uncovered a safety concern at a Fort Wayne YMCA just a few weeks after it opened to the public. It's the same facility where a woman later died after lifeguards pulled her from the pool.
On June 30th, the Jackson R. Lehman YMCA hosted a movie night in its pool area. YMCA member Rich Bailey says he was swimming in the pool with his son when staff began setting up equipment.
"He was powering on the projectors and the cords were in the water," said Bailey.
Bailey says people were getting out of the pool and running into the cords. He thought somebody was going to get electrocuted.
"I took my son and yanked him out by his shoulder. I said we're getting out of here," said Bailey.
After he complained to staff at the pool, Bailey called the fire marshal who checked things out the same night.
Through a public records request filed with the Fort Wayne Fire Marshal, ABC21 obtained a copy of a safety violation report from the incident at the Lehman YMCA movie night.
In the report, Fort Wayne Fire Marshal Asst. Chief Jim Murua says "felt it was a dangerous situation. When he arrived, he observed "extension cords lying in water between the pools and "water splashing and overlapping the cords."
The Fire Marshal says after he spoke with the manager on site, the YMCA corrected the issues.
A spokesperson for the Greater Fort Wayne YMCA refused multiple requests, via e-mail and over the phone, for an on-camera interview to discuss the safety violation at the movie night. She did however, confirm that electrical cords were lying around the pool area that night, and that it shouldn't have happened.
The YMCA has yet to speak on-camera about the fatal incident in August.
The Allen County Coroner's Office says they are still waiting on toxicology and pathology test results before they can rule a cause and manner of death. When ABC21 pressed an official at the coroner's office about whether he was leaning towards a medical event or simple drowning as the cause of death, he said it was too soon to tell.