A highly destructive fire burned through most of the day in downtown LaGrange, filling the sky over that city with a choking cloud of smoke.
The LaGrange Marshals Office said the fire began at the Family Dollar and Gould Sports shop Tuesday morning. The Goshen News said the fire resulted in the closure of Indiana Hwy. 5 soon thereafter..
By the afternoon, fire officials reported that the building housing the Family Dollar store had collapsed. The Gould building was heavily damaged and continued to burn, and the entire block was evacuated while fire crews worked to contain the fire.
No injuries were immediately reported.
The LaGrange County Sheriff's Department said people should avoid the area of Spring and Detroit Street while fire crews continue their work. The department also said the town is under a water boil advisory due to low water levels while fire department crews battle the fire.