Emergency crews responded to a gas leak in downtown Fort Wayne Friday morning.
The reported gas leak was at the intersection of Harrison Street and Washington Boulevard by the Grand Wayne Center. Crews were called to the scene around 7:30 Friday morning.
Officials at the scene say a contractor working in the area hit the 4-inch gas line. Unfortunately, there's no valve to just easily shut it off. NIPSCO eventually made the scene to try to pinch off the line at both ends.
The intersection was blocked off for several hours while crews worked to repair the gas line. There were also closures on Washington Boulevard, Calhoun Street and Harrison Street. Traffic control was on the scene diverting drivers. No nearby buildings were evacuated during the leak.